Your hands are incredible! They are complex parts of your body that are necessary for almost all of your daily activities. It doesn’t matter if you are writing, typing or swinging a hammer, your hands are essential tools in your everyday life. When your hands are unable to function properly due to a number of possible causes, help from specialists is often needed to get you back to life.
Hand therapy turns a focus to rehabilitation of the hand and arm. It can be seen as the combination of occupational therapy and physical therapy.
Certified hand therapists work directly with your doctor and you to treat the following conditions (along with many others):
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
- Tendon injuries in your hand, wrist and elbow
- Nerve injuries in your hand, wrist and elbow
- Injuries where your hand(s) have been crushed.
- Repetitive motion injuries
Here is the Criteria That Our Hand Therapists Must Meet
- Pass a national certification exam which is administered by the Hand Therapy Certification Commission.
- Required re-certification every five years through accredited advanced continuing education.